The landscape of the Valencian Community is dotted with hills and mountains, rivers, forests, islands and wetlands, offering incredible contrasts, like the Albufera Natural Park, the River Turia Park and Sierra Calderona. During this program volunteers will experience different Spanish ecosystems and contribute in a practical way to the conservation of the Valencia Region environment.
The volunteering Area will be mainly in the Albufera Natural Park and Marjal of Almenara. They are wetlands with a confluence of rivers adjoining kilometers of beach.
Our wetlands need you!
Albufera Natural Park is one of the most important wetland areas of Spain and one of the most emblematic and important places of Valencia because of its biodiversity and great ecological interest. Home to a wide range of wildlife, specially water, wading and migratory birds, and also species in danger of extinction, it has been declared by the European Union as a place of special protection. The Marjal de Almenara is also a protected area of high value due to the high quality of its waters.
Wetlands are threatened by the consequences of climate change, discharges of polluting water, agriculture and increased tourism, among other causes.
They are essential for life, because they provide us with fresh water, maintain biodiversity, protect us from floods and natural disasters. They are genuine natural treatment plants, store CO2, house unique flora and fauna and are essential for many economic activities.
The city of Valencia has 300 days of sunshine, a beach and is close to nature. It also has a wealth of history and culture:
- 7 km of beach near the city plus the entire coast of the Valencian Community adjacent to other natural parks and a large marine reserve.
- Museums, historic and avant-garde buildings such as The Museum of Arts and Sciences.
- A very varied institutional and alternative cultural agenda with a lot of music on offer.
- A BioParc Zoo. and the Oceanographic, one of the largest aquariums in Europe.
- A great connectivity with other cities by bus and train.