During this program volunteers will experience different Spanish ecosystems and contribute in a practical way to the conservation of the Valencia Region environment.
The volunteering Area will be mainly in the Montgó Natural Park, the Marine Reserve of Cape San Antonio and the Pego Wetland. They are natural areas with a great diversity and of high ecological importance and have supported the tourism industry. In recent years the overflow of visitors has had a negative effect on the fragile marine ecosystem and coastline.
- The Marjal Pego-Oliva Nature Reserve
The Marjal is a protected wetland with an area of 1.253 hectares. Many plants are unique, this place stands out for being a zone of storage and birth of groundwater that regulates, in a natural way, the quality of the water.
The Natural Park of Montgó is very visited by hikers, has an area of 2.117 hectares and 753 meters of altitude and is between Dénia and Xabia. More than 650 species of flora and vegetation live in there. The vegetation of Montgó was one of the main reasons for the declaration of this protected area. It has an extensive floristic catalog and abundance of endemism. This natural park keeps a great botanical treasure!
- The Marine Reserve in the Cape of San Antonio
The Nature Reserve San Antonio Cape is a protected area of high ecological value that occupies 900 hectares. On its seabed you can find coral colonies, Scyaphila algae, Sandstone rhophytes, Posydonia meadows. There, you can go diving in caves and crevices such as the famous Cova Tallada, and observe a great diversity of marine species.
Your home will be at the city of Denia. It is spectacular and delicious gastronomy, a wide choice of beaches and coves to enjoy, natural parks, history and culture:
- 20 km of beach plus the entire coast of the Valencian Community adjacent to natural parks and a large marine reserve.
- Museums, historic and beautiful streets, neighborhoods and environments of interest. Essential! The Castle from the 11th Century and see the whole city from there.
- The beautiful fauna and flowers in the Montgó Natural Park and the Marine Reserve of Cape San Antonio.
- A perfect place to start diving, kitesurfing or windsurfing.
- And, a great connectivity with The Balearic Islands, maybe The Spanish Caribbean.